Did you know that fluoride is the most effective cleaning agent when it comes to preventing tooth decay? It is a mineral that’s naturally found in nearly all food groups and water as well. Its benefits have been well-documented for more than 50 years and supported by a number of professional dental services in Birmingham, AL.
Fluoride keeps your teeth clean and prevents tooth decay in two ways:
- Topical fluoride strengthens the teeth once they have grown by seeping into the outer surface of the tooth enamel, making them more resistant to decay. We can improve topical fluoride levels in our mouth by using fluoride containing dental products such as toothpaste, mouth rinses and gels. Dentists in Birmingham, AL generally recommend that children have a professional application of fluoride twice a year while getting dental check-ups.
- Systemic fluoride also strengthens teeth that have grown, though particularly those that are developing under the gums. We can encourage systemic fluoride by drinking adequate water on a day to day basis. Systemic fluoride It is also available as a supplement in drop or gel form, and can be prescribed by a dental professional in Birmingham, AL.
Generally, fluoride drops are recommended for infants while tablets are best suited for children up through the teen years. It is very important to monitor the amount of fluoride a child ingests. If too much fluoride is consumed while the teeth are developing, a condition called fluorosis (white spots on the teeth) might arise.
Visiting the office of an experienced dental professional in Birmingham, AL to see if you require any fluoride treatments to avoid tooth decay is what you need to keep your oral health in check all year round. Contact Dr. Josh Hall’s Hall Cosmetic & Family Dentistry office at (205) 991-7840. We’re located at 6930 Cahaba Valley Road, Birmingham, AL 35242.
Although most people are able to consume fluoride from their daily food and water intake, at times it is not enough to help prevent decay. Your dental hygienist in Birmingham, AL may recommend the use of home and/or professional fluoride treatments for the following reasons:
- Deep pits and fissures on the chewing surfaces of the teeth
- Exposed and sensitive root surfaces
- Generally poor oral hygiene habits
- Frequent sugar and carbohydrate intake
- Inadequate exposure to fluorides
- Inadequate saliva flow due to medical conditions, medical treatments or medications
- Recent history of dental decay
Keep in mind that focusing only on your daily fluoride levels does not effectively combat tooth decay. Brush twice a day, floss regularly, have balanced meals, keep processed sugar intake as low as possible while limiting your caffeine intake, and visit your dentist in Birmingham, AL for daily check-ups.
The cost of a professional dental fluoride treatment in Birmingham, AL is around $50.
Dr. Josh Hall’s team at Hall Cosmetic & Family Dentistry in Birmingham, AL has been administering fluoride treatments and providing great dental care to children and adults alike for years. Call us today at (205) 991-7840 to book your appointment. We are conveniently located at 6930 Cahaba Valley Road, Birmingham, AL 35242.