Do you have significant dental fears or anxiety? If so, Hall Cosmetic & Family Dentistry in Birmingham, Maryland can help you solve that problem – with sedation dentistry, you’ll be able to sit back, relax and get proper dental care painlessly.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry uses medication to help patients relax during dental procedures. It’s sometimes referred to as “sleep dentistry.” Patients are usually awake with the exception of those who are under general anesthesia.
Patients can choose from:
Minimal sedation – which you are awake but relaxed.
Moderate sedation – you may slur your words when speaking and not remember much of the procedure.
Types of Sedation:
- IV Sedation: IV sedation acts quickly and wears off quickly, therefore being an extremely safe and common form of sedation dentistry.
- Inhalation Minimal Sedation (laughing gas): You breathe nitrous oxide, otherwise known as “laughing gas” – combined with oxygen through a mask that’s placed over your nose. The gas helps you relax. Your dentist can control the amount of sedation you receive, and the gas tends to wear off quickly (within 3-10 minutes). This is the only form of sedation where you can be able to drive yourself home after the procedure.
- Oral Sedation: Depending on the total dose given, oral sedation can range from minimal to moderate. For oral sedation, you take a pill, and it’s usually taken about an hour before the procedure. The pill will make you drowsy, although you’ll still be awake. A larger dose may be given to produce moderate sedation. This is the type of anesthesia most commonly associated with sedation dentistry. In addition to creating a feeling of deep relaxation, the medication may produce other effects. Patients may feel time pass very quickly or otherwise retain little memory of their time in the dental office. Analgesic properties decrease any sensation of pain or discomfort. You will need a driver to and from the office.
Dr. Josh Hall at Hall Cosmetic & Family Dentistry will work with you to determine the best form of sedation dentistry to meet your oral health needs and concerns.
What are the Benefits of Sedation?
- No IV needles necessary
- Quiet and comfortable dental visit
- Safe and effective – FDA approved
- Little or no recollection of treatment – feels like sleeping
- No anxiety or stress during treatment
- Allows Dr. Emery to tend to dental issues before they become worse
- Patients can sit still for period of time while they attain a healthy, beautiful smile
Who Can Benefit from Sedation Dentistry?
Adults who have:
- high fear or anxiety of visiting the dentist
- had previous traumatic dental experiences
- difficulty getting numb
- who gag easily
- very sensitive teeth
- complex dental problems that require lengthy appointments
- hate needles and shots
- hate the noises, smells and tastes associated with the dental office
Is Sedation Dentistry right for you?
Schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Josh Hall by calling our office today at 205-991-7840